New Forum Section - 3-D Printing, Digital and Virtual Reality

1 month 3 weeks ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
New Forum Section - 3-D Printing, Digital and Virtual Reality #1564
Yes, I always loved puppets as a kid. Yoda is probably my all time favorite that Frank Oz brought to life. In fact if you compared traditional puppets to VR, I'd say each has its own good and bad points. This is a VRChat full body capture. To think that Hollywood level abilities are coming to consumers means this kind of thing will eventually be used to make films.

From a stop motion perspective, they could be quick ways of making animatics and even to use for pre-animating scenes by literally acting them out in real time. Even if you have a stop motion puppet with odd proportions, you can digitally hop into that puppet in VR, act out your scene and use that as your guide in Dragonframe or Stop Motion Pro. I am pretty sure Aardman animated (roughly) all of Chicken Run in CG to pre-plan the entire film.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago
Metalmadcat
More
New Forum Section - 3-D Printing, Digital and Virtual Reality #1563

animateclay wrote: Yes, I think that eventually costs will come down and someone will figure out a way to turn this into something anyone can use. Probably the best app I know for animating CG characters is Mindshow. It's more like puppeteering but has some advantages over SMODO currently in some ways. Especially since it's instant.

WOW .. I am so blown-minded at Mindshow, Marc. This is awesome. I found it really hilarious and unique. There are definitely elements of puppeting, as far as acting performance and as far as CrisisZone from the beginning, it is even on stage. So funny. I really hope all these pioneers keep developing. Sticking always with stop motion charm in it, though.

1 month 3 weeks ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
New Forum Section - 3-D Printing, Digital and Virtual Reality #1562
Yes, I think that eventually costs will come down and someone will figure out a way to turn this into something anyone can use. Probably the best app I know for animating CG characters is Mindshow. Take a look:

It's more like puppeteering but has some advantages over SMODO currently in some ways. Especially since it's instant.

1 month 4 weeks ago
Metalmadcat
More
New Forum Section - 3-D Printing, Digital and Virtual Reality #1561

animateclay wrote: Yes Dan, SMODO is an interesting project that we briefly talked about on the live show. It's a lot like the Dinosaur Input Devices from Phil Tippet but using a webcam to capture the movements. think if you want to animate in CG, it's not a bad idea to use. If you have a flying rig everything would translate fairly nicely. Only I don't see a way for changing face expressions, so I don't know if that's something they plan to add. I also kinda wonder how they do head turns and things with twisting motions. Either way I do think the tech has some limits, maybe that's why they haven't done an update for a while?

As far as limitations concern, maybe I was anxiously thinking about the future and where it all could lead into. But yes. I recently read about Mr Force input, what he said regarding SMODO.

Mr. Force wrote: its just a Plugin for 3DsMAX used with their Cams & Puppet. Only larger studios can afford 3DsMax @ 250$ monthly or 5700$ for the Lic. They would do better to offer it as a plugin for Blender so anyone can work with it

Sure. Value and just being a plugin would not be as effective as it may seem. I am thinking however the outcome of such experimentation four or five years from now. This can be a beginning of a snowflake turning into a big snowball one day.

1 month 4 weeks ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
New Forum Section - 3-D Printing, Digital and Virtual Reality #1560
Yes Dan, SMODO is an interesting project that we briefly talked about on the live show. It's a lot like the Dinosaur Input Devices from Phil Tippet but using a webcam to capture the movements. There's the one video out there explaining it (sort of) here:

I think if you want to animate in CG, it's not a bad idea to use. If you have a flying rig everything would translate fairly nicely. Only I don't see a way for changing face expressions, so I don't know if that's something they plan to add. I also kinda wonder how they do head turns and things with twisting motions. Either way I do think the tech has some limits, maybe that's why they haven't done an update for a while?

2 months 13 hours ago 2 months 13 hours ago by Metalmadcat.
Metalmadcat
More
New Forum Section - 3-D Printing, Digital and Virtual Reality #1559
Great section, Marc. we could also mention SMODO eventually. It is still a brand new techonlogy that hasn`t even been tested by all animators yet.

As for 3D printers. Blending new and old technologies to me is THE FUTURE.

Seriously, what could be better than embracing the past with the present if not by unifying two mediums into one?

I personally find more advantages than disadvantages. From saving time to even enegies to allow you to produce even more of what you have in mind. Possibly a disadvantage may be the price these machines cost. I am not really aware of its price, but doesn´t seem affordable for anyone. For those who enjoy the craftmanship aspect above all, then maybe is not the ideal scenario. But still I would not simply discard this for not being my one preference or approach with animation. It is not forcing you to sacrifice your creativity under any circumstance. I mean, it is always up to you adding more or less manual things, from props or sequential shots, or whatever you wish additional off printer-process. It is a matter of being pragmatic and giving value to time management with the possibility this new century is providing us. Maybe, the first question that we should make to ourselves: how much time do I really have on my favor to produce what I want to produce? From there you can make a CHOICE. Simple as that. It makes perfect sense to me. You are not resigning your signature, your stile or or any creative skills over the machines. (as if that could be the case) Perhaps people, as soon as they hear of anything involving machines they may feel its art will be taken away from it, .. or fear it may be? Certainly not the case. It is more of an advantage than anything. For the good!

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds