3-D Printers for Puppets?

5 years 3 weeks ago 5 years 3 weeks ago by animateclay.
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
3-D Printers for Puppets? #667
That's neat, it looks like a good product. It reminds me a little of plasti-dip, the stuff you dip your tool handles into for added grip. But that's a rubber material, I haven't seen anything like this before. It seems like it fills in gaps but you still need to sand it smooth - but I think the finish will be much nicer with the gaps filled. Here's a video they have showing how it works:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 3 weeks ago 5 years 3 weeks ago by kungfudork.
kungfudork
More
3-D Printers for Puppets? #664
So a new product just got released for smoothing 3d prints, LUCKILY one of the locations is actually in my hometown. Crazy! So I went to Reynolds Advanced Materials to pick up some XTC-3D . I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the guy there assured me it would give me better results than the acetone vapor method (which is highly toxic). I also said I was wanting to smooth out my arm molds. He said this would work perfectly and also sold me some Dragon Skin Pro silicone. He said that it would work perfectly with a 3d printed mold. I'm getting pretty excited to test it all out! I will post updates here as soon as I can.

In the mean time, here is an update on the puppet heads. I got the new eyes and mouths from AnimationToolKit, and I'm really enjoying the look!
Attachments:

5 years 1 month ago
MadR13d
More
3-D Printers for Puppets? #641
I asked Santa for a 3D printer!

5 years 2 months ago 5 years 2 months ago by kungfudork.
kungfudork
More
3-D Printers for Puppets? #608
Getting closer to some animation testing! YAY!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You jazzimation

5 years 3 months ago 5 years 3 months ago by animateclay.
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
3-D Printers for Puppets? #598
Looking good! I think the paint job helps a lot, your color schemes are nice. I can't wait to see them move now. :P I bet as 3-D printing progresses, solutions will come out for getting a more smooth texture. Maybe some along the lines of rock tumbling would be acceptable in some way to smooth out many prints at once. I guess at Laika they have an army of people sanding on the replacement faces. In one video we watched on our live show, they have people touching up the paint so every face matched. They make it look easy and perfect no matter what method they use.

5 years 3 months ago
kungfudork
More
3-D Printers for Puppets? #593
I used the acetone vapor method on the heads and then painted them. I used two different types of ABS filament and it seems one does better than the other in the vapor. You can see the Blake head got lumpy and the Eric head is much smoother. Trying to finish the full puppets asap, then I can go back and reprint the Blake head.

The arms seem to be working well! Just need another layer or two of PAX paint and then some baking soda to take away the shine.
The following user(s) said Thank You jazzimation

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds