Changing Animateclay.com Into Stopmotionmagic.com? Goals and Suggestions

11 months 1 week ago 11 months 1 week ago by Metalmadcat. Reason: no crystal clear but now IT SHOULD
Metalmadcat
More
Changing Animateclay.com Into Stopmotionmagic.com? Goals and Suggestions #1552
Hi there MARC and sorry about this VERY DELAYED RESPONSE. Not sure why I have not been notified to my personal emails regarding replies. I used to back in the days, maybe it changed?

Anywho, I see now why you tried to work on Animateclay turning it into a hybrid along with ex-SMM from that time period. Well, you tried what you thought was effective at that moment. It is a tough decission keeping up with platforms these days for they keep upgrading more and more, and faster! At any rate, I am glad to see the SMM is back for it brings me memories and also I like the name and the style.

As for the logo design I shared recently: I thought I had shared it before but it seems I was wrong. As we talk about it, now I remember this was a logo I presented to David Champ on his potential Cinemagician Magazine. I think he only made one ISSUE and then it all fell apart. Back then, I was meaning to provide one full article how-to tutorial regarding how I had created my bunny wire armature- Right after that offering is when I suggested the idea of making a cool logo for the Magazine, which came into my head one night.

You are right on this. It is definitely hard to please everyone and it can be a big and tough decission to make a radical change like a logo. I totally understand that, which means making some kind of consensus so that it can be democratic approved by a majority of all members -but we dont want to get there haha!

The mad-hatter there is just fine. I like him already. If anything, judging the many details it has and the fact it will be used in many places (resolutions, dimensions and apps, and platforms) it may hard to appreciate its figure in tiny size. This is what became an issue in my own logo as a matter of fact. I had a rather more sophisticated one but as i realized it would be used in all types of sizes an resolutions I tried to "stick to simplicity yet never losing the meaningful message\ simbology" - just my fifty cents. and of course I am a big fan of symbology and not all have to agree with that.

animateclay wrote: Hi Metalmadcat, yes - the old SMM site was based on a social network platform called Ning. The same one Anthony Scott used after we made our site. At the time Ning went through an ownership change and they warned everyone they would be shut down and most everything changed. So I tried to turn Animateclay.com into a hybrid of a social site (like SMM) and what Animate Clay was before that time. The bad news is Ning didn't die, the good news was....Ning didn't die. So Anthony was spared but my decision caused SMM to close. In the end SMM was the better designed site so that's why I decided to bring those aspects back.

Your logo is nice, I don't remember seeing it, thanks for sharing it here. I guess it will be tough to please everyone with regards to that. Do you like the Hatter logo that is there now? I can always create a magician version of him, much like what you drew with a magic wand. Maybe some kind of a compromise is needed.

I can try to boost the challenges, perhaps a box on the main network page with a graphic. One problem I found from before was I linked to our forums and not directly to the challenges page on our top page link here:

www.animateclay.com/index.php/challenges

So before it used to go to the main forum and maybe people didn't know where to post their entries. Do you think the graphic should point to the forums, or the challenge entry section? I'm thinking the forums would be best since you can click and view the video posts.

Either way I appreciate your feedback and it's nice to see you again Metal!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 5 days ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Changing Animateclay.com Into Stopmotionmagic.com? Goals and Suggestions #1530
I've gone ahead and put together a playlist of all our 5 week challenge videos and embedded it into the challenges link:

Now when someone wants to watch past entries they can do so with the playlist. It is much more convenient now for everyone.

I've also added a couple of articles which have some of our YouTube videos embedded in them. One is a playlist of our 3-eyed blue monster we made last year. We did it over the course of 9 live shows, so it's all in one article now over here:

www.animateclay.com/index.php/articles/9...ay-9x-video-playlist

I also added one of our more inspirational videos of Kent Meltons work at an exhibit I visited about 4 years ago to the site. You can watch it here:

www.animateclay.com/index.php/articles/1...an-disney-and-others

I've also cleaned up a lot of minor design objects on the web site. Things that just cluttered up the pages.

1 year 1 week ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Changing Animateclay.com Into Stopmotionmagic.com? Goals and Suggestions #1528
I just bought our new domain name. It will forward to animateclay.com for the time being. You can check to see if it works for you, just click the link here: http://www.stopmotionmagic.com If anyone has any strange errors or anything when they click it - please let me know.

1 year 1 week ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Changing Animateclay.com Into Stopmotionmagic.com? Goals and Suggestions #1523
I've added a 5 week challenge highlight box on the front page. I took Metalmadcats suggestion to promote the challenges a bit better at least graphically since they are somewhat hidden.

1 year 1 week ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Changing Animateclay.com Into Stopmotionmagic.com? Goals and Suggestions #1522
Hi Metalmadcat, yes - the old SMM site was based on a social network platform called Ning. The same one Anthony Scott used after we made our site. At the time Ning went through an ownership change and they warned everyone they would be shut down and most everything changed. So I tried to turn Animateclay.com into a hybrid of a social site (like SMM) and what Animate Clay was before that time. The bad news is Ning didn't die, the good news was....Ning didn't die. So Anthony was spared but my decision caused SMM to close. In the end SMM was the better designed site so that's why I decided to bring those aspects back.

Your logo is nice, I don't remember seeing it, thanks for sharing it here. I guess it will be tough to please everyone with regards to that. Do you like the Hatter logo that is there now? I can always create a magician version of him, much like what you drew with a magic wand. Maybe some kind of a compromise is needed.

I can try to boost the challenges, perhaps a box on the main network page with a graphic. One problem I found from before was I linked to our forums and not directly to the challenges page on our top page link here:

So before it used to go to the main forum and maybe people didn't know where to post their entries. Do you think the graphic should point to the forums, or the challenge entry section? I'm thinking the forums would be best since you can click and view the video posts.

Either way I appreciate your feedback and it's nice to see you again Metal!

1 year 1 week ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Changing Animateclay.com Into Stopmotionmagic.com? Goals and Suggestions #1521
I like your idea of revolving images there. Sad to say the site code doesn't allow for that, but I can manually do it if needed. It would be fun to keep things fresh that way, anyone up for designing some puppets for it?

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds