Stop Motion DSLR Murder?

2 months 19 minutes ago
Mr_Force
More
Stop Motion DSLR Murder? #1540
The T5 is a good all a round DSLR camera

I forgot to ask if you have a power adapter for the Canon and if not ebay sells them cheap. You will need one. Stop motion is a slow process, its not really possible to film on Batteries.

moshi moshi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago
hughchilles
More
Topic Author
Stop Motion DSLR Murder? #1538
Thanks that's excellent help, great to know the next level to aim for I have used a little arduino but didn't know Dragon actually controlled things like that.
Going to get the 1200D it has 1080p video thanks again you have halved my costs from the 6D

2 months 1 day ago
Mr_Force
More
Stop Motion DSLR Murder? #1537
Camera Comes first Steppers and motion controls comes later, Don't rush in to things. Dragon frame has it all there so every one can work their way in to it as they grow.

Dragon frame has MOCO a motion control system using stepper motors. Dragon frame control up to 16 motors, so if you have the hardware it can be used to control focus, zoom, Aperture as well as a Camera Slide, Dolly, Stage, PAN, TILT, ROLL on a frame per frame bases as well you can use DMX to control Lights (512 ch). With home built hardware and a Arduino to control Steppers from DF, something I'm working on here at Stop Motion Magic and there is a few vids on YT about it as well. I 3D print my Follow Focus and Zoom arm for my Rig using a pancake Nema17 Stepper with Micro stepping. Its been a work in progress for more then a year or so.

moshi moshi

2 months 1 day ago
hughchilles
More
Topic Author
Stop Motion DSLR Murder? #1536
Thanks for the info, it looks like DSLR is the way to go I still haven't found any articles on using the EVF live view as a digital shutter.

1100D/t3 looks like a great idea, the specs look about the same as 50d but latter has slightly more pixels and no video, I don't understand the mirror comment, is that the pentamirror? looks like 50d uses a prism mirror maybe I'll go with that though having another 720p video camera sounds pretty cool.

Haven't delved into the stepper world I was looking at the Nikkor 55mm micro lens with whatever body, so you are using a physical stepper to control focus? Is this a pre-manufactured thing? That sounds really cool.

Thanks again it's reassuring to know it's not a big mistake to go with cheaper model I thought maybe higher end video camera could do live view capturing and save the mechanical shutter but it seems no one is doing it. I haven't owned any DSLR camera so far so have been doing maximum research to save stress later and have maximum compatibility with Dragonframe

2 months 1 day ago
Mr_Force
More
Stop Motion DSLR Murder? #1535
Hello I use a Canon EOS Rebel T3 and its low on the list of live view cameras for Dragonframe , The Video is only 720p (I don't use it for video / I got it for Stopmotion) My Cameras top res is 4272x2848 RAW that is better then 4K (3840x 2160) and I don't film above that anyway. I do have a full mirror on the camera and they say it will make the camera vibrate as it moves and this can cause problems in stop motion rigs. You need good solid camera mounts and rigging to limit this. Other then that, this is all I needed. It costs 350$ new and if I wear it out I can buy 3 of them for the price of just one 60D.

I don't have a over heating issue with my camera but I do with my steppers on the camera rig.

18-55 stock lens I plan on adding a full frame Manuel macro lens, one that I can lock down the aperture and just use steppers to control focus, zoom and aperture from Dragon Frame. directly .

moshi moshi

2 months 1 day ago
hughchilles
More
Topic Author
Stop Motion DSLR Murder? #1534
I've been looking into different cameras and lenses to upgrade from my very basic 720p webcam and have come into the territory of understanding shutter failure and shutter counts,
I was looking into a 6D Canon but have heard they get quite hot after 30minutes of filming and having live view,
the other concern is if I can use a digital shutter on Dragonframe or if using any EOS you have to use the mechanical shutter every frame?

I read elsewhere that due to this it's better to use a DV camcorder to capture the live view and not destroy a mechanical shutter?
Working at 24fps I can imagine a DSLR will get hammered and I don't want to be turning it off every 30 minutes for heat issues.

At this point I'm leaning towards getting a 800D to have the balance of a good DSLR but still have hi quality video but curious what experiences people have had and how fast their cameras wear out?
Is it better to just keep picking up 50Ds and running them into the ground like a used car?
Is there better cameras for heat/digital shutter?

Sorry that's a lot of questions in one thanks for any ideas,
I was surprised looking up overheating/shutter stop motion issues not a lot comes up

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds