suggestions for materials for mountain landscape

3 months 2 weeks ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
suggestions for materials for mountain landscape #1787
I believe the foam in that video is technically called floral foam. It's a kind of foam that you use to put together fake floral arrangements and is very light with a fine cell structure. You can get it in a green color in Michaels craft stores and maybe Hobby Lobby if you have one nearby. They sell it in hobby shops too where you can buy model trains under different names. The stuff for train building dioramas is usually a lot nicer than the floral foam since it is designed for the purposes of mini-landscaping.

When you use those foam tools just make sure to have a fan suck the fumes away from you, it can be smelly. You can also use a soldering iron to put in details or the foam knife tools in our online store. The foam tools are designed for foams while soldering irons can work but get hotter than needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You LER555

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 3 weeks ago 3 months 3 weeks ago by LER555.
LER555
More
Topic Author
suggestions for materials for mountain landscape #1786
Hi, I'm back at it again. Thanks for this. I'm not completely clear on what that foam is. Will have to make a trip to Lowe's to compare the feel of different types of foam. I do have some styrofoam, and had planned to use that. But they are not in blocks, they are in small sheets about an inch thick. I did pick up a styrofoam cutter per your recommendations and am looking forward to finally getting started. I'm going to make a mountain landscape and a little alien looking puppet character just to get started and learn how to craft these pieces.

3 months 3 weeks ago
LER555
More
Topic Author
suggestions for materials for mountain landscape #1785
Thank you for your suggestion. would you be willing to share more about your process of making a landscape out of these materials?

6 months 3 weeks ago
PolarBear7
More
suggestions for materials for mountain landscape #1779
Sawdust and Elmer's glue. Worked for a HO scale train set...Might sand it when dry for a smoother surface.

8 months 3 weeks ago 8 months 3 weeks ago by animateclay.
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
suggestions for materials for mountain landscape #1775
This video may help. It shows the basics of using styrofoam to create the major rock formations:

9 months 1 week ago
LER555
More
Topic Author
suggestions for materials for mountain landscape #1774
Hi all,
What foundational materials would you suggest for building a set with mountains and caves? Probably about a foot tall. I am trying to post a photo but getting an error saying it couldn't create an attachment directory. So just picture random Arizona large tall rounded rock formations and a few caves. Thank you

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds